Car Accident Law in Hillsborough County, Florida: Your Legal Rights and Options
Car accidents can happen to anyone, anywhere, at any time. In Hillsborough County, Florida, car accidents are all too common, and they can result in serious injuries, property damage and financial losses. If you’ve been involved in a car accident in Hillsborough County, it is important to understand your legal rights and options. At The Law Offices of Matthew J. Jowanna, P.A., we specialize in car accident law and are dedicated to helping accident victims recover the compensation they deserve. According to the latest statistics from the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Department, approximately 4,000 car accidents occur in Hillsborough County every year. In addition, about 10% of these accidents result in at least one person suffering an injury, and nearly four percent are fatal crashes.
Understanding Car Accident Law in Hillsborough County
Car accident law in Hillsborough County is governed by Florida’s personal injury laws. These laws allow accident victims to seek compensation for their injuries and damages if the accident was caused by someone else’s negligence. Negligence is defined as the failure to exercise reasonable care, resulting in harm to others.
To have a successful personal injury claim, the victim must prove the following four elements:
- Duty of Care: The defendant (the party being sued) had a legal duty to exercise reasonable care to prevent harm to the victim.
- Breach of Duty: The defendant breached their duty of care by acting or failing to act in a way that a reasonable person would not have done in the same situation.
- Causation: The defendant’s breach of duty caused the victim’s injuries and damages.
- Damages: The victim suffered actual damages, such as medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other losses.
Types of Compensation Available for Car Accident Victims in Hillsborough County
If you have been involved in a car accident in Hillsborough County, you may be entitled to several types of compensation, including:
- Medical Expenses: This includes the cost of medical treatment, such as hospital bills, doctor’s visits, prescription medication, and rehabilitation.
- Lost Wages: If you are unable to work due to your injuries, you may be entitled to compensation for your lost wages and any future earning capacity you may have lost.
- Property Damage: This includes the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle and any other property damaged in the accident.
- Pain and Suffering: This includes compensation for physical pain, emotional distress, and other non-economic damages.
- Wrongful Death: If a loved one was killed in a car accident, you may be entitled to compensation for their wrongful death, including funeral expenses, lost income, and loss of companionship.
How The Law Offices of Matthew J. Jowanna, P.A. Can Help
If you have been involved in a car accident in Hillsborough County, it is important to seek legal representation as soon as possible. The Law Offices of Matthew J. Jowanna, P.A. can help you navigate the complex legal process and ensure that your rights are protected. Here’s how we can help:
- Conduct a Thorough Investigation: We will conduct a thorough investigation of the accident, including gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, and working with accident reconstruction experts.
- Determine Liability: We will determine who is liable for the accident and establish negligence on the part of the responsible party.
- Calculate Your Damages: We will work with medical professionals and financial experts to calculate your damages and determine the amount of compensation you are entitled to.
- Negotiate with Insurance Companies: We will negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf to ensure that you receive the maximum amount of compensation possible.
- Represent You in Court: If necessary, we will represent you in court to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve.
Let us help you too. Call us today.