Car Accidents in Tampa, Florida: Causes, Consequences, and Your Legal Rights
Car accidents are an unfortunate reality on the roads of Tampa, Florida. According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, there were 38,562 traffic crashes in Hillsborough County in 2021, resulting in 18,099 injuries and 224 fatalities. These statistics highlight the importance of safe driving practices and the need for legal assistance in the event of a car accident.
At The Law Offices of Matthew J. Jowanna, P.A., we understand the physical, emotional, and financial toll that a car accident can take on you and your loved ones. Our experienced attorneys are dedicated to helping accident victims in Tampa and the surrounding areas recover the compensation they deserve.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Tampa
Car accidents can be caused by a variety of factors, including driver error, vehicle defects, road conditions and weather. Some of the most common causes of car accidents in Tampa include:
- Distracted Driving: Distracted driving is a leading cause of car accidents in Tampa and throughout the United States. Examples of distracted driving include texting, talking on the phone, eating, applying makeup and adjusting the radio.
- Drunk Driving: Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is a serious offense that can cause severe and even deadly car accidents. According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, there were 5,085 alcohol-related crashes in Florida in 2021, resulting in 3,001 injuries and 346 fatalities.
- Speeding: Speeding is a common cause of car accidents in Tampa. When drivers exceed the posted speed limit or drive too fast for the road conditions, they may lose control of their vehicle and cause a collision.
- Reckless Driving: Reckless driving, which includes actions such as weaving in and out of traffic, tailgating and running red lights, can also lead to car accidents in Tampa.
- Vehicle Defects: Defective vehicle parts such as faulty brakes, tires, or steering systems can cause car accidents. In some cases, the manufacturer or designer of the vehicle or part may be liable for any resulting injuries or damages.
Consequences of Car Accidents in Tampa
Car accidents can have serious and long-lasting consequences for those involved. Some of the most common consequences of car accidents in Tampa include:
- Personal Injuries: Car accidents can cause a wide range of injuries, including broken bones, lacerations, spinal cord injuries and traumatic brain injuries. These injuries can require expensive medical treatment and may have long-term effects on the victim’s quality of life.
- Property Damage: Car accidents can also result in significant damage to vehicles, buildings and other property. Repairing or replacing damaged property can be expensive and time-consuming.
- Financial Losses: Car accidents can result in financial losses such as medical bills, lost wages, and vehicle repair or replacement costs. These losses can add up quickly and can be a significant burden for accident victims and their families.
Why Hire The Law Offices of Matthew J. Jowanna, P.A.?
At The Law Offices of Matthew J. Jowanna, P.A., your personal injury and car accident case will be handled by Matthew J. Jowanna. My clients are people – not case numbers. Some huge law firms say that bigger is better. But that’s not necessarily the case. Here are some reasons not to hire a huge law firm advertising on park benches, billboards, buses and with 100 TV commercials a day:
- Lack of personal attention: Large law firms typically have many attorneys and a high volume of clients, which can make it difficult for individual clients to get the personal attention they need. In some cases, clients may end up working primarily with paralegals or junior attorneys, rather than the experienced attorneys they thought they were hiring to handle their case. The lawyer you see on TV is probably not the lawyer working on your case.
- Potential conflicts of interest: Large law firms may represent multiple clients who have competing interests, which can create conflicts of interest that can harm individual clients’ cases. In some cases, a large law firm may even have a pre-existing relationship with the opposing party or their attorneys, which can compromise their ability to represent their client effectively.
- Slow response times: Because large law firms have so many clients, it can take longer for them to respond to individual client needs or inquiries. This can be frustrating for clients who are seeking timely and efficient legal representation.
When you hire The Law Offices of Matthew J. Jowanna, P.A. for your car accident case, you get personal attention, flexibility, focused expertise and an actual relationship you can count on.
Legal Rights and Options for Car Accident Victims
If you have been involved in a car accident in Tampa, it is important to understand your legal rights and options. Depending on the circumstances of the accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and damages. Some of the legal rights and options available to car accident victims in Tampa include making a legal claim for your injuries and damages – including filing a personal injury lawsuit. And we are here to help you every step of the way.